Project coordinator: Cadi Ayyad University (UCA), Morocco
- King Salman International University (Egypt)
- Aalto University (Finland)
- Centre Européen de Recherche et d’Enseignement en Géosciences de l’Environnement – CEREGE (France)
- Cadi Ayyad University, (Morocco)
- Mohammed VI Polytechnic University – UM6P (Morocco)
- Green Energy Park (Morocco)
- Babeș-Bolyai University (Romania)
Main topic addressed: End‐of‐life and second‐life management of RE components
Aim of RESTART
The main objective of the RESTART project is to implement a full value chain for recycling End of Life (EoL) LiBs and PV, shifting from linear economy to circular economy, thus reducing waste disposal as well as minimizing dependence on important primary materials.
About the project
RESTART implements an interdisciplinary approach facilitated by its consortium that brings complementary expertise from top-level research institutions in the EU and Africa to cover the entire recycling value chain. The outcomes of RESTART on the creation of jobs (through dedicated capacity building and innovation) and implementation of a real circular economy will serve as a model to be replicated in various countries.
Major aspects that the project will cover include the following: collection, disassembling, and characterization of EoL LiBs and PV, technology development and scale-up of metals recovery processes, demonstration of fresh batteries build-up from recovered chemical elements, sustainability Life Cycle Assessment, economy business plan based on the best cost performing recycling processes, and the dissemination of the project’s outreaches for identification of key stakeholders.
The project will result in the creation of a Start-up that will bring the technology developed in the project to market.
Specific results are expected in the following areas:
- Characterization, speciation of metals & products
- Development of efficient metal extraction processes
- Development of fresh LiBs and thermo electrics
- Proof of concept, simulation & development of large scale reactor
- Analysis of Impacts: Life Cycle Assessment
- Technico Economic Assessment
- Development of a Business Model