LEAP-RE seeks to create a long-term partnership of African and European stakeholders in the field of renewable energy. Within 5 years, LEAP-RE will support collaborative research and innovation projects, as well as develop renewable energy related innovations directly as part of the project. LEAP-RE is based on the expertise of 83 organisations on both continents and from all sectors : government, research and academia, private sector and civil society. Together, they will share knowledge and methods to effectively contribute to fighting climate change while enabling access to clean energy for all.
LEAP-RE will empower local research through Europe-Africa cooperation while fostering the conditions for transforming research into effective innovation. Activities undertaken by LEAP-RE will be tailored to specific societal needs while acknowledging regional discrepancies in terms of funding, facilities, and social and environmental challenges.
What will LEAP-RE seek to achieve?
- Mobilise the relevant African Union (AU) & European Union (EU) knowledge communities and other stakeholders to address key renewable energy challenges for AU-EU
- Contribute to the production of new knowledge, innovations, technology, products, and/or services in renewable energy topics of strategic relevance to AU-EU collaboration
- Accelerate the inclusive transition to reliable and affordable renewable energy
- Demonstrate efficiency of LEAP-RE programme and create conditions for long-term partnership
- Demonstrate efficiency and attractiveness of joint programming and joint calls