EU Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW) is the biggest event dedicated to renewables and efficient energy use in Europe. It is made up of a 3-day policy conference offering various networking opportunities, an EU Sustainable Energy Awards competition with a public vote for the citizens’ award and local events, Energy Days, held across Europe throughout the months of May and June.
The 14th edition of EUSEW will take place from 17 to 21 June 2019, with the policy conference running from Tuesday 18th to Thursday 20th June in Brussels.
Challenge addressed by the session
This session will highlight the key importance of ongoing research & innovation collaborative actions between the EU and Africa on renewables, as a key building element for renewed partnership. The event will facilitate policy debates about the roles of clean energy in Africa’s emerging markets and the need for strengthened partnerships between the two continents across private and public sectors.
Concept and Focus
The success of most African emerging markets depend largely on their access to secure, low cost, decentralized energy solutions and infrastructures – as provided via the use of renewables. As part of its commitment towards championing the use of renewables to reduce global emissions and to build a mutually beneficial relationship, the EU initiated a joint research and innovation action, to promote excellent, scientific research for sustainable growth and development of renewables. This effort will bolster healthy, cross-functional relationships across the academia, industries and public institutions in both the EU and Africa. The event will address topical issues including:
- Harmonization of public policies on renewable energy between the EU and Africa
- Identification of high priority areas in renewable energy research & innovation under the joint action.
- Human capacity building and possibilities for development/improvement of existing scientific research resources and facilities.
- Public-Private Partnerships on renewable energy research & innovation under the joint action.
Invited speakers for the event comprise public policy experts, researchers, innovators, clean energy companies, private investors and civil servants from the EU and Africa. The event targets all relevant stakeholders in the renewable energy industry, academia and public institutions. This session will stimulate productive dialogues about thematic areas such as:
- Current outlook for renewable energy resources in Africa.
- State of renewable energy deployment in Africa (present and future).
- Renewable energy research and development situation in Africa (present and future)
- EU policy perspectives on renewable energy research and innovation for Africa.
- Financing research and innovation initiatives in renewables between the EU and Africa.